Family Grant Program
We are currently not accepting applications for the Mitochondrial Research Family Support Grant Program. The next round of grants will start summer, 2017. Check back for more details in May, 2017.
The intent of the Mitochondrial Research Guild’s Family Support Grant is to provide supplemental support to families living with mitochondrial disease whose children are treated at Seattle Children’s Hospital.
As families with children with mitochondrial disease, we the Mitochondrial Guild, recognize that there are many expenses associated with the care of our children that cannot or would not be fully covered by traditional insurance or more formal systems that cover medical costs. These may include, but are not limited to, things like vitamins and supplements, feeding supplies, therapies, equipment and travel for medical care. We further recognize that caring for medically complex children takes an emotional and physical toll on caregivers and family members such that while often needed, respite is not available also due to lack of financial resources.
- Qualifying Criteria: Any family who has a child with established care for the treatment of mitochondrial disease diagnosis at Seattle Children’s Hospital.
- Financial Need: Family must have financial needs exacerbated by the child’s illness.
- Use of funds: Funds may be used to assist the approved families with payment of concrete needs [durable medical equipment (DME) respite care, travel] and medically related expenses that align with the current widespread use [vitamins, feeding or othersupplies, therapies, etc] as defined on the “Approved List” The guild can issue payment to a vendor, credit card company, or reimburse families directly (with a paid receipt) for qualifying expenses.
- Award amount and frequency: Up to $2500 will be awarded based on need, expenses, and other applications. Awards are subject to the selection committee’s discretion. Priority will be given to families who have not received a previous grant award. Grants may be issued bi-annually.
- Application Deadlines: The next grant application period will be announced in May, 2017.
Interested families should review the Approved List of Expenses, and complete an application during the application period. Applications should be submitted to Jill Herczog at email@example.com. We regret we are unable to accept any late applications. Any questions about the grant program can be directed to Dianne Rios at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Cure for Mito Family Grant Support Program is a unique program in partnership with Seattle Children’s Hospital, where we are able to provide supplemental support to families living with mitochondrial disease whose children are treated at Seattle Children’s Hospital.
The Guild recognizes that there are many expenses associated with the care of children with mitochondrial disease that are not fully covered by traditional insurance or other formal systems that cover medical costs. These expenses may include vitamins and supplements, feeding supplies, therapies, equipment and travel for medical care. We further recognize that caring for medically complex children takes an emotional and physical toll on caregivers and family members and that respite care is not always financially feasible. This program is a way that we can provide some additional financial support through the issuance of small grants to families in our mito community.
Over the last couple of years we have awarded 13 families a total of $28,000 in grants and we are looking forward to our next round of awards in 2017. Thank you to our generous supporters.
Please check back for information on the timing of our next requests for grants or contact Dianne Rios at email@example.com for any questions regarding the grant program.