Family Grant Program
We are pleased to announce that The Mitochondrial Research Guild is now accepting applications for our Family Grant Program. This program provides supplemental support to families living with mitochondrial disease whose children are treated at Seattle Children’s Hospital. As families with children with mitochondrial disease, we recognize that there are many expenses associated with the care of our children that cannot or would not be fully covered by traditional insurance or more formal systems that cover medical costs. These may include, but are not limited to, things like vitamins and supplements, feeding supplies, therapies, equipment and travel for medical care. We further recognize that caring for medically complex children takes an emotional and physical toll on caregivers and family members such that while often needed, respite is not available due to lack of financial resources. Over the last 6 years, we have awarded 38 grants totaling over $90,000.
- Qualifying Criteria: Any family who has a child with established care for the treatment of a mitochondrial disease diagnosis at Seattle Children’s Hospital.
- Financial Need: Families must have financial needs exacerbated by the child’s illness.
- Use of funds: Funds may be used to assist the approved families with payment of concrete needs such as durable medical equipment (DME), respite care, travel, and medically related expenses such as vitamins, feeding or other supplies, and therapies as defined on the Family Grant Program Approved Expense List. The guild can issue payment to a vendor, credit card company, or reimburse families directly (with a paid receipt) for qualifying expenses.
- Award amount and frequency: Up to $2,500 will be awarded based on need, expenses, and other criteria. Awards are subject to the selection committee’s discretion. Priority will be given to families who have not received a previous grant award, but previous recipients are still eligible. All awards granted need to be used within 12 months of receiving the award.
- Application Deadlines: October 2, 2023
Interested families should review the Approved List of Expenses and complete an application during the application period. Any questions and applications should be submitted to Dianne Sabat at Dianne.email@example.com. We regret we are unable to accept any late applications.
The Family Grant Program is a unique program in partnership with Seattle Children’s Hospital, where we are able to provide supplemental support to families living with mitochondrial disease whose children are treated at Seattle Children’s Hospital. Thank you to our generous supporters for making this program possible. We welcome contributions to the Family Grant Program year-round through our online donation form.